Thursday, March 24, 2011

To Take or not to Take: Compensation in an age of Cynicism*

I received a phone call this morning from the medical co-ordinator, (Ms. S), informing me that the tests I had done recently have come back fine, and everything so far, is on track.

Then, at her initiative, we briefly discussed how my case is a complicated one, with many factors (such as Hep C) to consider. I agreed with her that my case is indeed complex, and stated, “That is what you get when you are in the medical system long-term”.

To which she laughingly replied, “Yeah, you could write a book. You should write a book”.

Now I am not sure whether she knows that I am creating ‘How I Contracted Hep C and Other Bedtime Stories’, but my experience with some social workers / medical co-ordinators from this one particular large downtown hospital has shown me that they can be sneaky, and will hint at an extraneous (and personal) pieces of information that have been casually mentioned in medical files, hoping that I, the patient, will freely (and at length) divulge more information. I did not. I bid her goodbye and (politely, I might add) hung up the phone.

But immediately upon finishing the call, I had to chuckle to myself. Yes, Ms. S, I will write a book. I will.

Speaking of which, I am currently working on a few pages about having being a part of (one of the) class-action lawsuit(s) against the Canadian Red Cross / Canadian gov’t, and the resulting compensation that ensued. This was a long and arduous process, not only in the sense of the ridiculous amount of paperwork that needed to be completed, but for the emotional reasons as well. Stay tuned as I continue to work on these pages.

*cynicism: refers to the beliefs of an ancient school of Greek philosophers known as the Cynics. Their philosophy was that the purpose of life was in rejecting all conventional desires for wealth, power, health and fame, and by living a simple life free from all possessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment